When less is more and over complicating your presentation wont work.
I recently attended a financially based conference that involved the CEO’s presenting their company to prospective investors. If you wanted to see an exercise in poor presentation, this was it. They only had a short time to present so they had to get their message across quickly and effectively.
What to put on a Powerpoint presentation or rather what not to.
The following comments apply to all 7 presenters. They:
- Packed every slide with excess amounts of text, charts, images and numbers.
- Simply repeated what was on the slide and rarely added anything to what was there.
- Failed to engage in any narrative that was engaging, just a series of numbers & facts.
- Assumed that stating the facts was going to convince investors to buy..
- Didn’t deliver any key messages with solid visual support.
- Stood behind a lectern.
- Failed to brand their presentations effectively.
- Didn’t provide a call to action.